Thursday 20 September 2012

Sally Mann

 
 
Sally Mann's work is so fascinating that I found it difficult to choose one of her pieces to post. I chose this piece because the reasons I like her work is obvious within it: the combination of innocence and something dark and sinister. The way these siblings clasp hands should be heartwarming, yet something is terribly wrong, and it's not just one of the children's violent injury. The expression in the children's eyes is completely lifeless, as if neither of them notices the blood or that they are used to it. It is this lifeless expression that makes Sally Mann's work so absorbing. She expresses children in situations that would normally bring joy, either with indecent sexuality or with extreme loneliness. It is this element that leaves me trying to discover clues in the photograph as to what could have possibly made the children this way and that ultimately makes Sally Mann my favourite photographer so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment